Monday, November 7, 2011

Reader's Journal # 11, Spaceships and Spells, edited by Jane Yolen, Martin H. Greenberg, & Charles Waugh

Dear Mrs. Zrihen,
                I have read another story in the book, Spaceships & Spells edited by Jane Yolen, Martin H. Greenberg, & Charles G. Waugh.  the story is “The Fable of the Three Princes”, by IsaacAsimov.  In the story I really liked this passage,
                “She Made a mystic pass with her hands (for she was a very well educated princess indeed), and there was a bright flash of light.  The courtiers had covered their eyes, for they knew what to expect; but Prince Secundus and Prince Tertius were not prepared, and they were blinded for a moment by the flash.
                When they recovered, they saw a statue being loaded into a cart so that it might be transported to the avenue in the garden along which the princess took her morning walk.
                The statue was that of Prince Primus, arms folded, expression handsome and proud.”
                This passage is important to the story because it shows that the princess isn’t easy to please.
                The reading strategies I used when reading the story were first to skim and scan the story, then I tried to understand hard vocabulary words.  Next, I prepared for Reader’s Journal.
                The genre of the short story is fantasy.  It is characterized by events that involve magic and cannot happen in real life.
Most of the characters in the story don’t have names.  The characters in the story are the Emperor, the princess, Prince Primus, Prince Secundus, and prince Tertius.  Everyone in the story was a protagonist and there really wasn’t really an antagonist.  The setting is in a kingdom and the arena.
The exposition and rising action was when the three princes to go get money for the kingdom and the one who came back with the most would be king.  The climax was when prince Tertius marries the princess.  The falling action and resolution happen when the debt problems are fixed and the kingdom is back to normal.
The conflict is character vs. character because the three princes are opposing the princess in order to see who would marry her.  The tone of the story is competitive.  The moral of the story is never to judge a book by its cover.  The point of view is in the third person.  The pattern of organization is cause and effect.  The author’s purpose is to entertain.  I can’t tell what the author’s perspective is.
I did not see any figurative language in the story.  I would recommend this story to the girls in my class, but not the boys because this type of fantasy is the type that girls would read more than boys.  I would rate this story four out of five stars because even though it was more for girls, it was very suspenseful at points and I was eager to know what happened next.
Sincerely, your student,

Michael Heskiel

2 comments:

  1. Dear Michael,
    Great job on your reader’s journal, I loved how you were so detailed at first with every single detail and scene in the book. Although I do have some questions about the book. My first questions is what were are two things you did before, while, and after reading this book, you only put 3. my second question is how was this book? Was it easy, just right, challenging, or abandoned? my last question is that you had put the tone in your journal but you didn’t included the mood. I would suggest that on your next reader’s journal you make a brief recheck on all of it by rereading.
    your friend Ofek Peer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ofek,

    I suggest next time you edit your comment. The answer to question number one is I also read the synopsis, I tried understanding olden days words and prepare for Reader's Journal. This book was definitively challenging since it contained old English text. The mood is different depending on the short story that is read.

    Sincerely,

    Michael Heskiel

    ReplyDelete