Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Reader's Journal #12 The House of a Million Pets by Ann Hodgman with illustrations by Eugene Yelchin

Dear Zrihen,
I have been reading The House of a Million Pets, a memoir by Ann Hodgman and illustrated by Eugene Yelchin. Here is a passage I really enjoyed:


“Anything gets turned into a song. If I see the UPS man, for instance, I might sing:
The UPS truck’s here now,
All covered with grime.
Doggies, do not fear, now –
He comes here all the time.


Or I might sing:


There is Johnny’s backpack,
Why won’t he take it up?
I think we might trip o’er it,
So dreadful for a pup!


I’m so used to this terribleness that I hardly notice when I start singing. One day, I had to take the dogs out to walk around the yard, and while I was putting their leashes on, I sang them a song to the tune of “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.” It went like this:


Doggies’ leashes are such fun,
Doggies love to run and run.
Doggies’ leashes are such fun,
Doggies love to run and run.
Doggies’ leashes are such fun,
Doggies love to run and RUN!”


I picked this passage because I though was so funny. It shows how people can get connected to their dogs. The significance of this passage is that without it, you wouldn’t understand how the author got carried away.
I used six reading strategies while reading this book. My two before reading strategies were one, to look at the cover and see if I would be interested in it. The next before reading strategy I used was to look at the author and see if it was somebody I know about. My two during reading strategies were one, to read and understand what was going on and two, to put the illustration and text together on some pages. My two after reading strategies were first to understand what I read and second, to spot text features.
The genre of this book is memoir, which is characterized by the story of a person’s life written by them. The topic of this book is the story of Ann Hodgman’s life and her pets.
The main idea of the book is of how her everyday life had pets in and how she loved pets. The main idea is stated, because in the introduction it says, “This book all about my life with my pets.” All she talks about how she gets her pets and how she likes pets. I would also call this book, No Such Thing as Too Many Pets because a whole room she had to devote to just her pets.
Here are five supporting details of the main idea. One, it tells you at the beginning that it’s going to be about pets and is factual. Two, the front cover’s text features make you think it is going to be about pets and is also factual. Next, it only has pictures of different kinds of pets they bought and is sensory. The fourth supporting detail is when you read the book the first thing it says is, “Welcome to my barnyard,” and that is factual. And the last supporting detail is it talks about pets in the synopsis, which is factual.
The essential message of this book in my own words is that we shouldn’t be greedy or mean to our pets. We should treat our pets as well as we treat humans.
A cause and effect relationship I found in the text is due to the fact that she bought a Sugar Glider, she had a lot more poop cleaning to do.
What I compare in this book is that all of it has to do with the same subject animals. What I would contrast from this story is that it talks more about the animals than it does about the human beings.
Here are five text features I noticed in the book. One, the cover has writing like it was written in crayon. Second, there are different funny pictures in different parts of the book. Third, every time an animal goes to the bathroom in the book, the words are in bold letters. On page 26, the regular text form turned into bullet note form. Last, there would be picture of a different animal in different parts.
The pattern of organization for the book is it is divided into chapters with subsections and is in chronological order.
The author’s purpose is most probably to show and encourage people to go and get themselves a pet. The author’s perspective is that everybody should have a pet to enjoy. The point of view is that pets are good.
I only learned one new vocabulary word. The word is marsupials, which are animals that carry their young in pouches on the mothers’ bellies. The context clues I used were words that talked about babies and pouches.
In relating this book to self, we should be happy with the animals. In text to text, this book is not like I have ever read before. In text to world, the world should work together to keep the animals safe and comfort them.
I would rate this book ten out of ten because it is important and funny at the same time. I would recommend this book to sixth and seventh graders because it is very description and the pictures make it more vivid.
Sincerely,


Michael Heskiel

No comments:

Post a Comment