Monday, December 5, 2011

Reader's Journal # 15, Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Dear Mrs. Zrihen,
                I am currently reading Lord of the Flies by William Golding.  It’s an OK book so far, but I found a really great quote in the book on page eight.
                “You can’t half swim.”
                “Piggy.”
                Piggy took off his shoes and socks , ranged them carefully on the ledge, and tested the water with one toe.
                “It’s hot!”
                “What did you expect?”
                “I didn’t expect nothing.  My auntie – “
                “Sucks to your auntie!”
                Ralph did a surface dive and swam under water with his eyes open; the sandy edge of the pool loomed up like a hillside.  He turned over, holding his nose, and a golden light danced and shattered just over his face.  Piggy was looking determined and began to take off his shorts.  Presently, he was palely and fatly naked.  He tiptoed down the sandy side of the pool, and sat there up to his neck in water smiling proudly at Ralph.
                “Aren’t you going to swim?”
                Piggy shook his head.
                “I can’t swim.  I wasn’t allowed.  My asthma – “
                Sucks to your ass-mar!”
                Piggy bore this with a sort of humble patience.
                “You can’t half swim well.”
                Ralph paddled backwards down the slope, immersed his mouth and blew a jet of water into the air.”
                I picked this passage because I thought it was the funniest thing so far in the book.  The significance of this passage to the book is that it brings out the character of Piggy more.
                My two before reading strategies were one, to skim and scan the book and two, read the synopsis.  My two during reading strategies were to read the book and understand what it was talking about and to try to connect the chapter to the title of the chapter.  My two after reading strategies was to one, summarize in my head what I read was about and two, to remember what I read for Reader’s Journal. 
                The genre of this book is fantasy.  The characters of the book so far are Ralph, Piggy, and Jack.  Most of the characters flat and round because they never change anything.  They always have the same ideas in their heads.  The protagonists are Piggy, Ralph, and Jack.  The antagonist has not appeared yet.  The foils have not yet appeared yet, either.  The setting is on an island.  I’m guessing the weather conditions were hot because they barely wore clothes to keep them warm. 
                The exposition is when you figure out that they are stranded on an island then Ralph meets Piggy and Piggy and Ralph meet Jack.  The rising action, climax, falling action, and the resolution I don’t know yet.  There is a conflict with Piggy is that all the kids know his name which he didn’t want.  He’s very fat and him specifically keeps thinking about ideas to get off the island.  This is internal and character vs. self.  The tone and mood are serious.  The theme I can’t say yet, but I’m guessing the theme is how to get off the island.  The moral of the story I don’t know yet.  The point of view is third person.  The pattern of organization is cause-and-effect, because everything they do, something else happens. For instance, when they blow the conch shell, the effect is that everyone hears and comes towards it.  The author’s purpose is most probably to show what can happen to you if you’re stranded on an island and not near civilization.  The author’s perspective is most probably agreeing with this story and is biased.
                I would definitely rate this book three out of ten because so far it’s dull, boring, and l don’t understand most of it.  I would not recommend this book to anybody because I don’t thinks anybody else would understand it, either.
                Sincerely,
                Michael Heskiel

No comments:

Post a Comment