Monday, December 12, 2011

Reader's Journal #16 Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Dear Mrs. Zrihen,
I have been reading the book Lord of the Flies by William Golding. It is a book in the fantasy genre set on a deserted island. There were no quotes from the book that I thought were interesting.
My two before reading strategies were first, to remember what I had read in the past and second, to compare what I have read to what I am about to read. My two during reading strategies were to find vocabulary words I didn’t understand and to review parts as I went along. My two after reading strategies were to review everything I read and prepare for my second Reader’s Journal on this book.
The characteristics of the fantasy genre are stories about things that can’t happen. The characters of the story are the same, Piggy, Ralph, and Jack. The characters themselves have changed. They feel more courageous because they have a feeling they’ll make it and get off the island. Their characters are static. All three characters are the protagonists. The antagonist is technically nature. They have no foil because nature doesn’t have a foil. The weather is most likely sunny because they lit a fire that didn’t burn out. The exposition of the book is like I said when they all find each other on the island. The rising action is when they start getting more confident about how to do stuff on the island. I have not gotten up to the climax, falling action, and resolution. The conflict for everyone is definitely man vs. nature and is definitely external.
The tone and the mood of the story are serious because it has a serious voice. The theme of the story is surviving on an island, because that is what they are doing. I haven’t found what the moral of the story. So far, I think the moral of the story is believe in yourself and you can do anything because at this point in the story the boys believe they are going to get off the island and it looks like they are going to. The point of view is third person, because it says in the story “he” and “she”.
The pattern of organization is cause and effect, because everything they do has some kind of side effect. The author’s purpose is probably to share with the reader a story just to entertain and not to inform. The author’s perspective is definitely subjective because of the tone he writes in you can tell.
The rating I would give this book would be a two out of ten because it can be very boring and it never gets interesting. I would not recommend this person from one to a hundred because it’s lame and it should be getting better.
Sincerely,
Michael Heskiel

3 comments:

  1. Dear Michael,
    Great rj, and great content!

    i have some questions:
    why was the book so boring?
    do you think that if you read this again when you are older you would come to like it? or is it just a bad book in general?
    Did using these strategies really help you. If so, how?
    What would you have done if you were the main character?

    Sincerely,
    Shianne Salazar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Micheal,

    I liked your readers journal... I also liked how you Said who you would recommend this book to anyone. I think you should follow the rubric from now on though. I also do have some questions for you.
    If you were in the main characters shoes what would you do?
    How did you figure out that the conflict is internal?
    Would you read another book by this author ever again if you could??

    Sincerely,
    Melinda Hebert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Shianne,

    I've answered questions one and three in my Reader's Journal.
    The book is a bad book in general.
    If I were the main characters I would have done what the book had indicated.

    Dear Melinda,
    The conflict is internal because he is talking to himself.
    I would not read another book by this author.

    Sincerely,

    Michael Heskiel

    ReplyDelete